Thursday, July 13, 2006

things on my mind

Well, I am back from Ciacova. It is a nice town and I think I will be happy there when I get settled in. I spent three days there. The train ride from Ploieşti was uneventful since it was a night train and I slept most of the way. We were picked up in Timişoara by the school car and after taking a short nap, some of the students that I will have (12th grade) gave the short tour of the town. It is a small, small town and they took their time showing the things there since there isn't a lot to show. My 2nd gazda family there is really nice, they grilled some chicken and mici that night and kept pouring beer into my cup. The next day, my couterpart and I went to the school to check it out and meet another teacher that I will be working on projects with. Not much to talk about that day. The last day I was there, my counterpart, gazda mom, and I took the bus to Timişoara. Before I go on, I have a funny story to tell. While waiting on the bus to a arrive, I noticed a truck go by with the Confederate battle flag in his window go by. I think I laughed out loud for 10 mins. Anyways, Timişoara is great. The parks are green and there is very little trash on the streets. I have a feeling I will be going there often. On the last day, I had to get up at 4:30 so that I could be taken to the train station before the train left at 6 AM. The train didn't reach Buchareşti until 2:30 so you can imagine how sleepy I was and I still had to take another train to Ploieşti.

Overall, while my site isn't a big or nice as most of the other volunteers site, I think that I will be happy where I am at. There are a lot of travel opportunities that I can take advantage of and being in a small town will allow me to develop my Romanian skills. I left my camera at my site so I don't have any pics to show you but when I go back there after the 28th, I will be sure to post many pics of where I will be living at the town around it.

Ok, ciao ciao

No comments: