Thursday, October 19, 2006

Wish List

As promised, here is my wish list for those of you who would like to send me things during my sojourn in Romania. I will make the list into things that I would really like to have, things that I would like to have but can live without, and things that I would love to have but I realize that it is mostly a fantasy. If you want to send me something from the second or third group, just let me know so that I can cross that item off the list. Thanks and here goes:

1st Group
-pancake syrup (regular or maple)
-macaroni and cheese (in a box)
-Hamburger Helper or anything like that
-oatmeal!
-cream of wheat
-brown sugar (can't find it here)
-candied pecans
-spices such as red chile powder, curry and other good things like that
-plastic squeeze bottle of mayonnaise (Duke’s or Hellman’s)
-can(s) of LeSeur baby peas
-can(s) of other yummy vegetables
-can(s) of Campbell's soup such as chicken noodle, tomato, cream of mushroom, etc.
-bags of pinto beans and/or black beans
-all-in-one chili packages
-chipotle-en-adobo (that is in a can)
-Sriracha chile sauce (it is the one with a rooster on the bottle)
-flour tortillas
-brownie and cake mixes with icing (no peanut butter please!)
-tea (Republic of Tea makes awesome tea, especially their blueberry)
-dried blueberries
-packets of ranch dressing
-any kind of good book that you have seen lately and you think that I would like to read
-sudoku booklet(s)
-food magazines that I can cook recipes out of
-other magazines that I can read and use in my classes
-anything and everything that you think I would enjoy or take pleasure in

2nd Group
-oven thermometer
-a good chef’s knife
-potato ricer
-casserole dish (make sure it is packed so that it isn’t broken when it gets here)
-a power adapter for an Apple Computer Powerbook G4 (1.5 Ghz); it is having problems
-european plug adapters
-metal tongs
-a few pie pans to show Romanians what really good pie is like
-an American flag

3rd Group
-enameled Dutch Oven (Le Creuset or similar type)
-cast-iron skillet (Lodge makes the best type)
-a brand new Macbook (haha, kidding about that one)

This is going to be a permanent feature in the sidebar of this blog over the next couple of years. I will be sure to update it when I am wanting something that I cannot get here. Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I had not read that post.

I'd sell my left arm for real maple syrup. I did get some velveeta mac-n-cheese from a friend, which was a thousand times better than I ever remembered it.

Similar to hamburger helper, I've gotten things like Knorr sauce packets (pesto, alfredo, etc) and even powered ranch and italian dressing packets. You should be able to nab any of the spices you listed. Or I can point you in the right direction, next time you're in Brasov. Ditto on pinto beans.

Flour tortillas *used* to be in Romania, here and there, for a short while. I guess they didn't sell well or something. As I am unwilling to live life without mexican food, I have a great recipe for tortillas...

Like you, food ended up being the one thing about America I've really missed during the past year.

Good luck.

(Y'ALL BETTER SEND HIM THAT STUFF! Heh.)

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris! I haven't forgotten about you. I'm glad you finally posted a list because I would have no idea where to start. Next time I hit the grocery store I will pick up a few items. If anything else pops up in the next week or so, shoot me an email or message on myspace.

Much love!!!!
Meg