Wednesday, March 08, 2006

thinking ahead

I am going to try to put together a "preliminary" packing list for my sojourn in Romania. I am sure that this will be changed in every way by the time I will actually leave my mountain lair.

1). Apple Powerbook G4 (I've had my laptop for almost two years and I love it)
2). Canon Powershot S70 (I love photography!)
3). luggage (probably two rolling suitcases with a backpack to transport things in on site)
4). winter coat
5). boots
6). work clothes (I assume that teachers in Romania are well dressed but I guess this depends on the situation on the ground)
7). Chacos (great sandals)
8). favorite t-shirts (got to have clothes to relax in!!)
9). sweaters
10). toiletries
11). prescriptions
12). Leatherman
13). thermal underwear (I know cold winters)
14). iPod Nano (flash-based memory so that the songs will not be lost if it is dropped)
15). swimming trunks
16). tennis shoes
17). wool & other assorted socks
18). waterproof jacket
19). sleeping bag (maybe)
20). large supply of underwear

Ok that is a working paper of what I think I will need. The Peace Corps only allows new volunteers a limited amount of weight that you can bring with you, i think it is around 100 lbs for Eastern Europe. I know that I will be able to get many of my supplies in the country so my primary concern will be being able to transport my stuff from point A to B. I will be glad to receive any (constructive) criticism on how I can improve this list.

La revedere, Pe curând!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!...glad I came upon your site via Third Goal. Reading the entries and comments of other PCVs has been helpful. I'm leaving for Romania in May also but as a community economic development volunteer. Have you gotten in touch with many people who are doing the same? Come on over to my site or email me. It'd be good to know someone before meeting in Philly for training come May. See ya :)

Andy said...

Where exactly are you going Chris? A lot of what you will need will be determined by where you are being posted. Do you know yet, or do they assign you when you get here?

I disagree with Romerican on the luggage thing - you're moving here for a while, you need a convernient way to bring your stuff here, and while those suitcases may not see much action during your stay they will be very useful in travelling here and then going home with all your souvenirs (and remember that you will bring more home than you brought out so don't overpack - leave some space for what you return with)

On clothes, I also think Romerican is wrong - people here are pretty into appearance and unless you're being posted to some village up in the back end of the Carpathians, you will want to look reasonably good (you're lucky that you're a guy - women are really expected to dress up).

good luck!

Anonymous said...

chris - romerican is sort of right about the rolling bags. they don't roll in too many places there. however, i had a monster one i could carry if i had to, a large duffel and a daypack. looking back - i'm glad i had the rolling beast but i would trade the duffel for a good but not too fancy backpack. (i bought a great one one in ro for less than 2m lei.)

toiletries - unless you're a product slut, you'll be more than fine in ro.

sleeping bag - oh man! i was so happy to have my down bag. when not travelling, i opened it up, put a duvet cover on it and had instant down comforter.

you can find plug adapters (romerican?) in ploiesti - where your PST is going to be. they are cheap and shopping for one will be a good culture/language exercise. i never shopped for a transformer (inherited one from site mate) but with all that electronica (good choices), you will need one. you have a surge adapter on laptop?

clothes - you're on the right track. rom is right again - you don't need the wardrobe you have in states. do bring sweaters - consider having them mailed to you (the minute you get your site address is the time to mail them. no kidding.)

don't forget a "bread and butter" gift for your host family. i took seattle chocolates - a big hit.