Monday, April 10, 2006

tentative DVD list and misc.

Here are my picks to take the jump over the pond to the land of vampires and sarmale.

1). Braveheart
2). Dances With Wolves
3). Fight Club
4). The Last of the Mohicans
5). Led Zeppelin Live DVD Set
6). The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring
7). The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
8). The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
9). The Matrix
10). Animal House
11). Old School
12). Saving Private Ryan
13). Snatch
14). Star Wars: A New Hope
15). Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
16). Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

This is definitely a provisional list. The CD case that I am putting all of these in has room for twelve more movies. I have a ton more movies in my collection (over 100) but I need to pair those I want to take to those I really, really enjoy watching. I might add the first two The Godfather movies, we will see. Batman Begins is also on the maybe list.

In other news, volunteers in Romania created a CD-R of information about what to expect in the Peace Corps in Romania and different things to think about going there. They had a great packing list that I am adapting mine to fit within the list. My older list is almost the same with a few tweaks here and there.

After freaking out over my thesis deadline, I stayed up all night Thursday finishing my thesis. I gave my thesis committee the "draft" version to go over. If they accept my thesis as is, I will be able to defend it either Monday or sometime next week. That option will allow me to receive my diploma in May. If my committee give me back my thesis to edit/elaborate more fully, I will work on that until sometime in early May, defend it, and my diploma will be mailed to me in August instead of May. That is no biggie because I was thinking there for a while that I would have to wait until I return from Romania in 2008 to turn in my thesis. To say I was stressed Friday morning is an understatement, to say the least.

Peace Corps Romania gave us a list of emails of the people going with us. My impression so far is that the Ro 21 group is a broad cross-section from every corner of the country. I am looking forward to meeting them all and having mad adventures in the wilds and not so wilds of Romania.

Pa, pa.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris:

Good luck in Ro. I was PC RO Group 8, 98-00. I live just north of you now in Norfolk Va. Shoot me a quik note if you have any questions.

jakon.hays(at)pilotonline.com

Jake

Anonymous said...

I think you should add a couple comedies. Something that'll make you laugh when you've had a bad day.

Anonymous said...

Get the Layer Cake loved that movie, and remember you are in Romania no bloody laws about downloading. if you can bring a decent lap top along with you do so and get all the movies you want and american telly programs.

I do the same here in Korea works like a charm.