Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Genographic Project

National Geographic started a project in April 2005 compiling a database to track the genetics of all people and ethnic groups in the world and their diversity. Those who are lucky to be members of the 1st World can pay a $100 fee to get a kit in which you take a sample of your cheek cells and send it in to them. National Geographic then processed your DNA, the Y chromosome in men & mtDNA in women, and sends back the information that is in your DNA. Well, with the money that Mom gave me to Christmas, I decided to order this and find out. I just took the sample from my cheeks and sent in the packet. I think it will take around 8 weeks to process the data and then I will find out where I came from. Woohoo!

You can find out about this here.

No comments: