Wednesday, April 18, 2007

well hell

Nothing and everything has happened since I have last posted here. I will try to condense what has happened into edible chunks so that you don't get that bored. Here goes.

Spring has sprung here in little Ciacova. The temperature is getting to around 24 C (76 F) and sunny to boot. The people here tell me that primavara (spring) only lasts for a short time and then the true onslaught of summer begins. I was here last August and I can attest to the brutality of the noonday sun. My mountain-adapted metabolism is not made for extremely hot weather so I am getting ready. I missed taking photos of the early spring flowers but I will get some uploaded when I can.

The second half of the spring semester is in full swing. All this week, I have been giving tests to my students. The current test that I am giving to my students is this: 1) Tell me what constitutes a room. What exists in a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room?, 2). List twenty adjectives with both English/Romanian spelling, and 3) List twenty words dealing with transportation and places that exist in a city. Most of my students have done well with this but those who goof off in class, needless to say, haven't done as well. Asta e. The semester will end June 15.

In late January, the hard drive of my laptop died. Everything that I had on there (music, photos, documents, etc) was lost. I was pretty pissed off but what do you do. I am truly lucky to have a wonderful family and my sister send me a laptop hard drive that is double the capacity of the old one so I am spending a lot of time rebuilding what I had.

Speaking of technology, I now have broadband internet in my apartment. I am sure you are thinking, "What? He is in the Peace Corps. Shouldn't they live in huts and worry about malaria rather than what movie to watch or music to download?". Romania is unlike many of the countries that the Peace Corps serves in. That said, there is still a great need for development here so I am glad to be here doing my part.

Summer is the designated travel time for those of us TEFL volunteers. Last month, Mom surprised me by getting me a ticket to the United States this summer. I will be home for two weeks: from June 27th to July 11th. I better see many of you when I am at home.

I went to Belgrade, Serbia last month and had a blast. It is a beautiful city filled with food good and nice people. I took a lot of photos and will be posting them soon. I will definitely going back there.

Okay, I promise to post more now that I have internet access. Ceau pentru acum.

1 comment:

bailey35mm said...

Where have you been Chris. Waiting for the next post. Hope things are going well.