Thursday, September 07, 2006

An Update

I want to thank all of those who have sent me messages via MySpace or other ways about the loss in my family. It was an adventure getting to the States. I left Bucureşti at 8:45 AM to Vienna. The flight was about 1:30 min. After a short layover in Vienna, I was on another flight over the pond. The Austrian Airlines flight took just over 9 hours but luckily the food that was served was quite tasty. Here is the worst part: I had an 7 hour layover at Dulles Int'l Airport in Washington, D.C. After wasting time there being bored out of my mind I was finally on the last flight to Charlotte. It lasted 1 hour, 15 minutes but I really don't remember it because I was exhausted and slept the whole way.

It is good to see home but I really wish it didn't have to be like this. My father had been sick for a while; his heart has had many problems in the past and mom had just set up Hospice at home when he died. They said that his heart just got weaker and weaker and then on Friday morning, it just stopped. The lady who was there at the time said he had a peaceful look on his face. This is good to hear because there are far worse ways to go.

You should have seen the amount of food that was brought to the house. Whole casseroles of lasagna, biscuits filled with sausages and with egg, lunch meats, et cetera. After the funeral, our church had lunch for us, which was a good thing. On the subject of food, this happened just before the Bennett family reunion so I got to gorge myself on the foods that all of my family. Foods are the things that I have missed the most in Romania.

It is kinda surreal to be in the States so soon. I have heard that it is even more so when you have finished your service in the Peace Corps, so we will see how that is in two years.

Ok, I will be back in Romania on Saturday, September 23 so I will see all of you there in a while.

Ceau

2 comments:

Admin said...

Islam, is it really how the media portrays it? Is it really all about killing and violence? Ever wondered? Here is your chance to find out the truth.

Please visit or blog http://thejourney2islam-team.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Fenblog said...

Hey Chris,

Hang in there man. I give you a lot of credit for deciding to come back. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you when you get back. Take care.

Scott Fenwick