Sunday, October 29, 2006

This week in Chris

Life here is pretty much the same as the last time that I updated. Things really don't change in small towns like Ciacova, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. On Friday, October 20th, the high schoolers had their Freshman Ball. It was held in the school gym with a long line of tables for the profesors şi profesoaras to sit and partake of the culinary delights that are presented there while the schools stand on the other side of the gym. After a bit, there was something like a beauty pageant where the freshmen girls where paraded around and then judged on various things by a panel of teachers and students; different things like dancing, knowlegde, etc. When that finished, the dancing began. Of course, the seniors girls, loving me as the great teacher that I am, wanted to take pictures of me with them. They then dragged me out on the dance floor where, I will have to admit, I danced for a long time. I left at 1 AM with the dancing still going strong.

Teaching is going pretty well. I am getting into the rhythm of what level I should teach certain classes and how to keep their attention. Just like back in the States, there are great students and the not so great students but I do my best to impart my vast level of knowledge to them and they are appreciative.

Not really much to say. For the most part, I am doing well. The little problems that I have with my apartment continue and there are a couple extra that have popped up but they can be dealt with. Sometimes I get a bit lonely but there isn't really many people my age here and so I spend a lot of time reading and listening to music.

Ceau for now!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting, did you choose Romania? or the pc chose it for you? Do most people speak english there?

The Book Guy said...

I love to hear of the little problems and how you deal with them as I contemplate my PC app.

Check this video: YouTube

John
A Thousand Books

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris:

I am sitting at my computer in San Francisco, CAlifornia reading about your Peace Corp escapades in Romania. Congrats to you! We adopted our son Cristian from a Romanian orphanage in 1991 when he was just 11 months old. Next week, he will travel to Medias (north of Sibiu in the Transylvania mountains) to meet his birth mother, sister and other half-siblings. Your wish list is fabulous for us since we're trying to figure out what they might need that they cannot get in Romania. If your town is near Bucharest, Sibiu or Medias, let me know and Cristian will bring you that maple syrup you're craving!
Our best to you,
Maureen (maureen@healycom.com
(the plug/flashlight story brought smiles and a flood of memories here -- for a real course in reverse logic try thwarting adoption roadblocks in Romania -- starting with the fact that adopting a child from an orphanage in 1991 required the signatures of his/her missing or deceased parents!)

Anonymous said...

Come back to us, Chris.

Anonymous said...

Quote: "Sounds interesting, did you choose Romania? or the pc chose it for you? Do most people speak english there?"

Yup .. most of teenagers... ppl over 30 don`t

And don`t take Romania as a undeveloped country... for who computers are a rarity
http://www.cfree.cyanad.ro/blog/uploaded_images/itcertifications-724725.jpg

:D

Anonymous said...

corecting link :D

http://www.cfree.cyanad.ro/blog/uploaded_images/itcertifications-724725.jpg

Anonymous said...

http://www.cfree.cyanad.ro/blog/uploaded_images/itcertifications-724725.jpg


wtf ..there`s a problem with the link x-(
it cuts the link x-(

http://www.cfree.cyanad.ro/blog/uploaded_images/
itcertifications-724725.jpg

merge the 2 parts